This Pea power house tastes amazing and I may be slightly biased as I made it, but if my children eat it then it must be good.
My Mother actually made a version of this pea soup and it was really amazing.
I however modified and changed some of the ingredients (Sorry mum) so I could make it healthier than it already was.
See what you think.
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 celery stalk (organic)
500 g Frozen Peas
750 ml of organic vegetable Stock
3 tbsp Goats Yoghurt
Small handful Fresh mint or 4 tbsp dried mint
Few thyme leaves (Optional)
1 tsp ginger powder or chopped fresh (Optional but does give a nice kick)
Melt the coconut oil and add in the celery and onion and garlic and simmer until soft (10 minutes about)
Add the peas and stock and simmer again until soft (3-6 minutes)
When the Soup is slightly cooled puree it and add in the goats yoghurt and the mint and thyme and puree again.
This soup is delicious hot or cold.
The benefits of this pea soup
- Dietary fibre.
- Dietary fibre adds bulk to your food without contributing to the calorie content of your meal, helping to keep you full throughout the day.
- Vitamin K
Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B1, copper, phosphorus and vitamin c and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, molybdenum, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium and choline.
The coconut oil benefits
Coconut oil is high in natural saturated fats. Saturated fats not only increase the healthy cholesterol (known as HDL) in your body, but also help to convert the LDL “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterols. By Increasing the HDL’s in the body, it helps promote a healthy heart , and lower the risk of heart disease.
The benefits of the garlic
- Garlic Contains a Compound Called Allicin, Which Has Potent Medicinal Properties. …
- Garlic Is Highly Nutritious, But Has Very Few Calories.
- Digestion: Mint is a great appetiser or palate cleanser, and it promotes digestion. …
- Nausea & Headache: Mint leaves, especially freshly crushed leaves but also dried and added to foods help you deal with nausea and headache.
- The photo-chemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
Celery, which has the scientific name Apium graveolens, is a vegetable in the plant family called Apiaceae. The benefits of celery begin with it being an excellent source of antioxidants and beneficial enzymes, in addition to vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, Vitamin C Vitamin K, folate and potassium.
FYI celery soup is delicious too.
- It’s easier to digest
- It has fewer allergenic proteins and causes less inflammation
- It is high in calcium and fatty acids but low in cholesterol
- It keeps skin looking good
- It absorbs nutrients and minerals better than cows’ milk
So you have many reasons to make this but the best of all is its quick and also can be given for packed lunches in heat flasks.
Have a great day